Investment Visa is granted to qualified business people or investors who have the capacity to invest at least 10M Baht worth of real estate, deposits, or bonds in Thailand, which in return, provides the investors the right of residence or long-term stay in Thailand.
This is structured to ensure that the investment contributes to the welfare, innovation and economic development of Thailand. There are three different options to invest the funds:
- Buying a condominium unit at a purchase price or rent of at least 10 Million Baht.
- Holding the funds in a fixed deposit account at a Thai bank whose share capital is majority Thai owned.
- Buying or holding Thai government or Thai state enterprise bonds worth at least 10 Million Baht.
- There are no age limitations, unlike the retirement visa that requires the individual to be aged 50 years or over.
- It provides not only the investing party’s long-term stay in Thailand but also for theirfamily members, such as parents, spouse and children.
You must be able to present the following:
- Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
- Evidence of transferring funds into Thailand of no less than 10 MillionBaht.
- Evidence of investing in the purchase or rental of a condominium unit for a period of no less than 3 years issued by a relevant agency or government, at a purchase or rental price of no less than 10 MillionBaht; or
- Evidence of investing in the form of a fixed deposit of no less than 10 Million Baht with a bank which is registered in Thailand and has Thai nationals holding more than 50 percent of its shares; or
- Evidence of investing in the purchase of government or state enterprise bonds of no less than 10 MillionBaht; or
- Evidence of making an investment as set out in Criteria (3), (4), or (5) with a total value of not less than 10 MillionBaht.
The different investment options above can be combined. Therefore it is possible to qualify for the Investment Visa by purchasing a condominium unit for less than 10Million Thai Baht and, in addition, deposit the balance of 10Million Thai Baht to a fixed deposit account at a qualified Thai bank.
Holders of this type of visa are strictly prohibited to work in Thailand. Furthermore, you must report to the Immigration Office in your area of residence every 90 days during your stay in Thailand. During this period, you need to apply for and obtain a single or multiple re-entry permit at the Immigration if you wish to leave and re-enter the country. Otherwise, the permit for you to stay for the rest of the visa duration will become invalid.
Once approved, the investor will be issued an initial three-month Visa. You must then take the same set of documents to the immigration, within two weeks of its expiration date, for 1-year extension. This can be renewedannually as long as you maintain the 10 Million Baht worth of real estate, deposits, or bonds.