Honda Announces the New Civic Hybrid – A Perfect Integration of All Functions
Honda Automobile (Thailand) Co., Ltd. has launched the new Honda Civic Hybrid to meet the demand for hybrid cars in the compact sedan market segment. The new Civic Hybrid offers eco-friendly technology with an exclusive design featuring a body-colored base grille with a clear blue front grille lens; clear blue lenses for the projector headlights and LED backlights; a body-colored trunk lid spoiler; and newly-designed alloy wheels. The new Civic Hybrid features smart technology and comprehensive safety features and is the first hybrid car produced in Thailand to come with a lithium-ion battery. It is available in two models including the standard Hybrid at 1,035,000 Baht and the Hybrid Navi model at 1,095,000 Baht, in a choice of three colors including Orchid White (Pearl), Frosty White (Metallic), and Alabaster Silver (Metallic). To strengthen customer confidence in the unparalleled quality of its automobiles designed for a green society, Honda provides a 5-year warranty on the fully-integrated Hybrid system with no limit on mileage plus a special warranty extended from five years to ten years on the hybrid battery. The company also announced it is extending the hybrid battery warranty for the sporty Honda CR-Z Hybrid and the Jazz Hybrid for five years for customers who previously bought these models.
Mr. Pitak Pruittisarikorn, Executive Vice President, Honda Automobile (Thailand) Co., Ltd., said, “With today’s launch of the Honda Civic Hybrid, we are introducing a hybrid car that is an environmentally-friendly automobile. The new Civic Hybrid comes with IMA hybrid technology and is powered by the 1.5 liter i-VTEC engine that provides low CO2 emissions. It’s an ideal solution that meets the growing demand for environmentally-friendly vehicles in Thailand. The new Civic Hybrid is also an alternative for young adults who are looking for an environmentally-friendly automobile.
“The Honda Civic Hybrid provides a 5-year warranty for the fully-integrated hybrid system including the electric motor, control equipment, hybrid battery and electrical wiring without any mileage limit. To reinforce the high quality of Honda’s innovative hybrid system, we are providing a special warranty extended from five years to ten years on the hybrid battery. In addition, we are adding five more years to the hybrid battery warranty for two models including the Honda CR-Z Hybrid and Jazz Hybrid, also with unlimited mileage, giving them a total of 10 years of warranty coverage. This privilege is offered to customers who previously bought these models,” added Pitak.
The new Civic Hybrid recently introduced in the Thai market represents another major step in technological advances for Honda automobiles as it is the first hybrid car model produced in Thailand that features an innovative, high-quality and long-life lithium-ion battery. The Honda Civic Hybrid also maintains its unique design with key features and intelligent technologies including:
· Engine: Honda’s Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) hybrid is a parallel system that works together with the 1.5 liter SOHC inline 4-cylinder, 8-valve i-VTEC engine that generates a maximum of 91 horsepower at 5,500 rpm with 132 N-m of torque at 2,800 rpm. The IMA electric motor generates 23 horsepower at 1,546 to 3,000 rpm with 106 N-m of torque at 500 to 1,546 rpm. The engine provides most of the propulsion, with supplementary energy from the electric motor enhancing start-off performance and the demands of acceleration and overtaking. When driving speed is low and steady, the engine stops and the vehicle moves into EV mode, powered solely by the electric motor. There are no CO2 emissions while in EV mode. During braking, the engine stops as braking energy is dynamically converted into electric power and stored in the hybrid battery for future use. When the vehicle is stationary, the engine and electric motor automatically switch to standby in idling stop to reduce fuel consumption and decrease emissions.
· Innovation: Key innovations include a One-Push Ignition System and the Honda Smart Key System. The new Civic Hybrid is rich in functional, advanced technology, including an i-MID (an Intelligent Multi-Information Display), which is a smart interface that allows drivers to personalize its configuration. Honda’s Eco Assist is like having your own onboard efficiency coach that advises on energy-saving driving tips.
· Distinctive Design: The exterior design is streamlined with a monoform architecture based on clean, powerful lines. The modern cabin is designed around a futuristic cockpit concept. The new Civic Hybrid has exclusive design features available only in this model including a body-colored base grille with a clear blue front grill lens; clear blue lenses for the projector headlights and LED backlights, a body-colored trunk lid spoiler and newly-designed alloy wheels.
· Safety: Honda’s unsurpassed G-Force Control (G-CON) body helps to reduce damage caused during collisions. The new Honda Civic Hybrid also comes equipped with many other key safety features including Dual SRS front airbags; driver and front passenger i-Side Airbags; an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS); Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD); Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®); Hill Start Assist (HSA) and innovative Motion Adaptive Electric Power Steering that helps the driver steer in the optimal direction to mitigate oversteer or understeer situations. The new Honda Civic Hybrid also has a front passenger seat belt warning system, a rear view camera, an immobilizer and ISOFIX & Child Anchor for the optimum safety of child passengers.
According to Mr. Mitsuru Horikoshi, Large Project Leader for Honda R&D Co., Ltd. (Japan),, “The development of the Honda Civic Hybrid maintains the modern design for both interior and exterior to offer a fun-to-drive experience. The passenger compartment is designed under a ‘Man Maximum, Machine Minimum’ concept, based on a philosophy of embracing a driver and passengers with enhanced utility space that provides the highest level of comfort and convenience. The new Civic Hybrid comes with intelligent technology that makes it fun to drive, offers the greatest fuel savings and is environmentally friendly. It’s Honda’s first hybrid model to use the smaller, lighter but more powerful lithium-ion battery.”
The Honda Civic Hybrid is available in two models including the standard Hybrid at 1,035,000 Baht and the Hybrid Navi model at 1,095,000 Baht, in a choice of three colors including Orchid White (Pearl) (an additional 10,000 Baht), as well as Frosty White (Metallic), and Alabaster Silver (Metallic). The interior color is gray for both models. Interested customers can visit Honda showrooms nationwide.
Pitak added, “With the perfect design of the latest Civic Hybrid, combined with driving performance that makes it fun to drive, great fuel economy and environmentally-friendly technology, Honda is confident that the new Civic Hybrid will fulfill and complement the hybrid compact sedan market segment and best fit the needs of a new generation of Thai consumers. Honda expects sales of 7,200 units within one year.
“We remain committed to creating innovative, clean-energy automobiles to deliver the highest level of customer satisfaction at more affordable prices with low CO2 emissions, while complying with our corporate vision of ‘Blue Skies for Our Children’ to provide a greener and safer environment for our children so they can enjoy a sustainable society in the future,” concluded Pitak.
* The extension of the warranty on the hybrid battery from five years to ten years is a promotional campaign. It is privilege for customers who place an order or buy any of Honda’s three models of hybrid vehicles within December 31, 2013. The promotional campaign also applies to current owners of Honda hybrid vehicles, extending warranty coverage for their vehicles’ hybrid battery from five years to 10 years, subject to Honda’s terms and conditions.